Monday 21 January 2013

Get Your Skates On

The snow may have left the likes of me stranded at home with blankets and endless cups of tea (woe is me) but those of you who have waded your way into work like a trooper, bravo!



It didn't take long for me to hear "back in my day school didn't close blah blah blah" but it got me thinking about all the pretty retro snow outfits from "back in the day". Ice skating and skiing has never looked so fashionable than during the 1940s and 50s. We must be thankful for the birth of the skater dress, it has never left the high street and has become a wardrobe staple. Nipping in at the waist and flaring out over the hips, it flatters pretty much every body shape out there.

I could have browsed vintage snow photos for hours, everything seemed so much more glamorous, even winter sports! Chaps skiing in shirts and ties, ladies frolicking in fur, splendid stuff. I've narrowed it down to this bunch of retro snaps to share with you.








If you are a vintage purist then I advise heading to Etsy where you can find America's best vintage, especially rare and beautiful dresses from the 50s and earlier. I found this gorgeous ice skater dress with mink sleeve cuffs and I'm so sorry to say it has been snapped up! But it's so stunning I have to share it with you. Swoon. Etsy is also a fantastic place to buy vintage sewing and knitting patterns, the skater style is quite common so grab an original pattern for your very own original skater dress! 

  


Over the years the basic skater shape has not faded out of fashion and can be found in a range of fabrics and patterns with with various lengths, sleeves and necklines to suit every body shape. The original super short flippy circle skirt used in figure skating dresses seen in the example above has (thankfully) lengthened over time making a more practical, wearable dress. I've picked out four very different dresses for you to nosey at...



Black 80s skater style dress from Hoy Boutique
"The Figure Skater Dress" for the very brave from American Apparel
A gorgeous velvet, low scoop back example with a print that's out of this world at Urban Outfitters
More of a swing shape, flaring at the bust in a very modern print from Oh My Love at ASOS


Love
Gina 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment